Search and You Shall Find in My World

14 November 2007

"Boholanos" ala Marketman

Cebuanos often make fun of Boholanos. My dad was a Cebuano, but no, aha!, he was born in Bohol! But my mom, who he chided endlessly for being Boholana, was in fact, born in Cebu, and a descendant of a large clan with lots of family in Leyte. But her family was a fairly well-known one from the proud little island of Bohol, the home to one of the Republic's elected Presidents...not many provinces can claim that, after all, though Cebu can as well. At any rate, the gentle "rivalry" between the islands is an amusing one... So while Cebu might have the best dried mangoes, silvanas and what not, I have to say that Bohol has absolutely the finest broas I have ever eaten, period. And here, with a quick modification, I am inventing a cookie that would make my maternal ancestors proud... meet the "Boholano" - two Osang's broas with a filling of rich chocolate cream. Superb.


Picture and Text by Marketman http://www.marketmanila.com/

===========================================================
I am a true-blue Boholano so I am almost always looking for good stories about Bohol. This is one of them. If you are into food, good food to be exact, visit Marketman's website and you will be amazed by his recipes, writeups and photography.
===========================================================


2 comments:

Unknown said...

MAAJONG AGA.

I ENJOYED MY SHORT STAY IN BOHOL. I HAVE SEEN SOME OF YOUR WONDERFUL CHURCHES WHILE I HAVE INTENTIONALLY SKIPPED THE CHOCOLATE HILLS,NOT ONLY FOR SNOBBISH REASONS, BUT ALSO FOR ME TO HAVE REASONS TO COME BACK TO BOJOL.

I WENT TO BOJOL SPECIFICALLY TO GO TO ANDA TO LEARN HOW TO WEAVE THE "PUSO' THEY CALL "BINANGQUITO". IT IS A COMPLICATED WEAVING OF COCONUT PALM LEAVES. THEY WEAVE OTHER FORMS LIKE KUMO, INUMOL,KINABAN. THEY USE IT IN A RITUAL WHICH, UNFORTUNATELY, I FAILED TO WITNESS.

WOULD YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THIS? KINDLY SHARE. THESE ARE SOMETHING THAT BOJOLANOS SHOULD KNOW AND APPRECIATE AND BE PROUD OF.

Unknown said...

i will try to do a research on that. i know how to do the puso when i was young. we usually make puso when relatives go to manila via slow boat. it's more of a pabaon than ritual.