MANILA, Philippines – Miguel Olaybar helped a man settle his bills in a karaoke bar and got stab wounds instead of a thank you in return.
Police said Olaybar, 26, was having a drink with his nephew at Marina Videoke Bar in Tondo Tuesday night when he noticed another customer who was having problems at the cashier.
Noting he was a fellow Visayan, Olaybar offered to pay his bills. The suspect refused but Olaybar still settled his bills then left.
But they went back shortly to have another round of drink. The suspect, who was still there, suddenly stabbed Olaybar with a fan knife.
The assailant fled on foot after the incident. Olaybar described him as sporting a long hair, about 5’4” tall and 26 to 27 years old.
Olaybar was brought to a hospital for treatment of stab wounds at the right shoulder and armpit.
29 January 2009
28 January 2009
May mga sariling gimik at kaya-kanyang hangad sa buhay
Sa ilalim ng iisang bubong
Mga sekretong ibinubulong
Kahit na anong mangyari
Kahit na saan ka man patungo
Sana'y huwag kalimutan ang ating mga pinagsamahan
At kung sakaling gipitin ay laging iisipin
Na minsan tayo ay naging
Tunay na magkaibigan
Minsan ay parang wala nang bukas sa buhay natin
Inuman sa magdamag na para bang tayo'y mauubusan
Sa ilalim ng bilog na buwan
Mga tiyan nati'y walang laman
Ngunit kahit na walang pera
Ang bawat gabi'y anong saya
Kahit na anong gawin
Lahat ng bagay ay merong hangganan
Dahil ngayon tayo ay nilimot ng kahapon
Di na mapipilitang buhayin ang ating pinagsamahan
Ngunit kung sakaling mapadaan baka
Ikaw ay aking tawagan
Dahil minsan tayo ay naging
Tunay na magkaibigan...
24 January 2009
- Try a new sport or activity that appeals to you, like in-line skating, windsurfing, or scaling a climbing wall at the gym.
- Go skinny-dipping.
- Break out your wardrobe rut, and wear something out of character.
- Chat up an attractive stranger.
- Forgo your usual lunch and order something you've never tasted before.
- Give your hairstylist free rein with the scissors, and totally change your look.
- Treat yourself to a solo dinner in a nice restaurant.
23 January 2009
Some things last
In the full blossom of your youth, at the height of all your frenetic energy, you spend your time doing things that, as you grow older, you may find yourself regretting. All that wasted time! But as you get older, wisdom sets in, you properly define yourself, and there are things you wish you could do, but you are now too old to do so.
An amazing line from the film: “Life can only be understood looking backward. It must be lived forward.”
It would be wonderful if life were made that way. But as the film illustrates, whether growing older or growing younger, it doesn’t matter if you end up not doing what you’ve wanted to do in life.
Everyone’s life is just a collection of moments and memories. People will go away, people will die, you will love and you will fall out of love.
At one point, Benjamin says, “Nothing lasts.” Blanchett’s Daisy replies, “Some things last.”
They would include memories—what we leave behind and who we leave behind. Knowing that, growing older doesn’t seem so scary anymore.
I go from loving to not loving you,
from waiting to not waiting for you
my heart moves from the cold into the fire.
I love you only because it's you I love;
I hate you no end, and hating you
bend to you, and the measure of my changing love for you
is that I do not see you but love you blindly.
Maybe the January light will consume
my heart with its cruel
ray, stealing my key to true calm.
In this part of the story I am the one who
dies, the only one, and I will die of love because I love you,
because I love you, Love, in fire and in blood.
22 January 2009
Brazilian model’s hands, feet amputated
First Posted 09:39:00 01/22/2009
Filed Under: Health treatment, Diseases
SAO PAULO -- A 20-year-old model who was a finalist to represent Brazil in the Miss World contest has had her hands and feet amputated after contracting a severe urinary infection, media reported Wednesday.
Mariana Bridi da Costa was sedated in a hospital in Serra, in Brazil's state of Espirito Santo, and on artificial respiration following the procedures, according to several dailies.
Bridi was diagnosed with infection by the Pseudomonas aeroginosa bacterium, which can often prove fatal. Septicemia set in in her limbs, cutting off circulation and forcing doctors to amputate.
Her boyfriend, Thiago Simoes, told the G1 news website that Bridi fell ill on December 30, but was initially misdiagnosed with kidney stones.
The infection quickly spread, causing her to go back to hospital for tests that revealed her condition. Surgeons had to act to remove her damaged hands and feet.
Her father, Agnaldo da Costa, told the Folha de S. Paulo newspaper that "the concern is over her life."
Bridi twice made it into the national finals for the Miss World contest, and last year traveled to China to participate in the Miss Bikini International pageant, G1 said.
News from Inquirer.net/ Photo from oglobo.oglobo.com
21 January 2009
20 January 2009
Guest: It will be on the second year of January.
Host: What will you be sharing with our viewers in this portion of our show?
Guest: For the store owners out there, we have tips on how to attack your customers.
Host: What do you like to do to relax?
Guest: I like to go to the beach, listening while relaxing to the wiping of the water.
Guest: If they fire us, we will fire them!
Host: How was your last concert—was it successful?
Guest: More than! All the people watching, their faces were clapping!
Host: Why did you choose her for your model?
Guest: To showcase my hairstyle, she’s the best, because kanyang personality, napaka-humane and simplicity.
Compilation grabbed from Inquirer.net
18 January 2009
Over the past few months I have forwarded some inappropriate pictures and jokes to friends who I thought shared the same sense of humor.
Unfortunately this wasn't the case and I seem to have upset quite a few people who have accused me of being sexist and shallow. If you were one of these people, please accept my sincerest apologies.
From now on, I will only post or send e-mail with a cultural or educational content such as old monuments, nature and other interesting topics.
Below is a picture of the Pont Neuf Bridge in Paris. It is the oldest bridge in Paris and took 26 years to build. It was completed in 1604.
15 January 2009
- People everywhere would cause massive traffic jams.
- The usual 15-minute ride would almost become an hour of intense struggle.
- During the Sinulog parade, all you could do is walk. Jeepneys are re-routed. Taxis won't bring you to your destination no matter how near because of very slow traffic.
- Noise pollution becomes intense! Beating of drums even in the evenings can be heard. Karaoke in the houses are on the rise.
- Our favorite hangouts suddenly become full and nowhere can we sit in.
- Bars, even those unknown, would cordone off their premises and impose an entrance fee even if they have nothing special going on. You pay the entrance fee and drink a beer. Shucks.
- I have to search for hotels and pension houses so that friends could be accommodated. But at this time, even the dirtiest pension house are doing well. So I have to scout even outside city limits. Tiring!
- Pickpockets, swindlers, snatchers would be in season.
- Muggers and trippers also abound. Just be careful.
- And I am quite sure only a few souls would go to the Basilica del Señor Santo Niño and at least light some candles there.
- Friends connect. Even long time friends suddenly remembers you. Especially if they need a place to stay.
- Friends from abroad comes home. If you are good to them you can have a pasalubong.
- So many freebies from companies offering new products and discounts!
- Stores would offer sale and discounts.
- Sinulog is eyecandy. Aside from the colorful costumes of dancers, so many yummy people can be seen around as if some magic spell comes to Cebu.
- Some people come to Cebu to get laid. So be always ready, just in case. Remember to bring other safety gadgets.
- The celebrations would bring in lots of food and drinks. Some friends would invite you to eat at their house.
- Sinulog is a good reason to be drunk until the morning.
- You can visit the whole province if you take time to see the big displays on the Sinulog routes.
- Christmaasss is extended!
13 January 2009
Anyways- here are some memorable Idols as compiled by the staff of INQUIRER.net. I wonder why they did not include Elliot Yamin here on the list.
Kelly Clarkson—Former cocktail waitress and first winner in 2002 who sold more than 20 million albums and had eight Top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100; double Grammy and four-time American Music Award winner; currently working on a fourth album due out in March.Clay Aiken—2003 runner-up but one of most successful males in “Idol” history; recorded four studio albums and had a Broadway run in “Monty Python’s Spamalot”; admitted he’s gay in September, after the birth of his son with female friend and record producer Jaymes Foster.Jennifer Hudson—Placed 7th in 2005, then won an Oscar, Golden Globe and SAG as Best Supporting Actor for her role as Effie White in “Dreamgirls” (2006); also appeared in “The Secret Life of Bees” and the movie version of “Sex and the City”; 2008 debut album earned four Grammy nominations. Her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew were murdered in Chicago in October.Taylor Hicks—2006 winner whose debut album went to No. 2 on the Billboard charts, but was described as “the lowest selling album by any Idol winner”; played role of Teen Angel in “Grease” on Broadway in 2008; currently on US national tour in that role; new album “The Distance” due out on his own label in March.Sanjaya Malakar—17-year-old Top 12 finalist in 2007, best known for variety of hairstyles and pitchy singing; in 2008, mocked himself in an insurance commercial; released a memoir in January and a five-track EP called “Dancing to the Music in My Head.”David Cook—2008 winner whose debut album in November 2008 entered at No. 3 on the Billboard charts and is currently in 10th spot; plans a US tour in 2009.William Hung— [I really hate this guy!] Chinese-American civil engineering student who shot to fame in 2004 after toneless audition performance of “She Bangs”; released three albums, appeared in TV commercials, starred in 2005 movie “Where is Mama’s Boy” and makes occasional appearances in Hong Kong and the US.Carrie Underwood—2005 winner and multiple Grammy and Country Music Association Award winner; has sold more than 11 million records worldwide; third album expected in late 2009.Chris Daughtry—2006 4th placer made chart-topping debut album and won three American Music Awards in 2007.Jordin Sparks—At 17 became the youngest winner in 2007; debut album spawned three hit singles including “No Air” with Chris Brown which is in the running for a 2008 Grammy.Fantasia Barrino—2004 winner whose debut album was Grammy-nominated; starred in a TV biopic of her own life as a teen single mom and won rave reviews as star of “The Color Purple” on Broadway in 2007.David Archuleta—2008 runner-up who released a best-selling single, “Crush,” in August 2008 and a debut album in November that peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard charts. Expected to appear in Nickelodeon’s “iCarly” show in early 2009. [Reuters]
For a complete list of Idol winners follow this link.
And yet she has used practical things in life long before scientific studies came out.
Colds, for example.
We were always being nagged when we were late to bed. My mom would always tell us we would be prone to colds when we lacked sleep. I always laughed at her. Who told you? would be my usual answer. I just know, she would retort.
After 35 years, my mother finally has a scientific proof. May tama si Mama! Why do mothers are always in the know?
Agence France-PresseFirst Posted 08:31:00 01/13/2009WASHINGTON -- People who get less than seven hours of sleep at night have a three times higher risk of catching a cold than people who sleep eight hours or more, according to a study released Monday.Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania studied 153 people by documenting their sleep habits for two weeks and then administered nasal drops that contained the cold-causing rhinovirus."Participants were interviewed daily over a two-week period, reporting how many hours they slept per night, what percentage of their time in bed was spent asleep (sleep efficiency) and whether they felt rested," said the study."The less an individual slept, the more likely he or she was to develop a cold," said the findings published in the Archives of Internal Medicine's January 12 issue.People who reported poorer quality of sleep had an increased likelihood of catching a cold, it said."Lower sleep efficiency was also associated with developing a cold -- participants who spent less than 92 percent of their time in bed asleep were five and a half times more likely to become ill than those whose efficiency was 98 percent or more. Feeling rested was not associated with colds."The subjects were all in good health and their average age was 37.A possible explanation for the link between sleep and cold susceptibility was "that sleep disturbance influences the regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, histamines and other symptom mediators that are released in response to infection," the study authors wrote.Previous research has linked sleep deprivation to reduced immune function, but there has been limited evidence that lack of sleep increased the risk of catching the common cold.The study was led by Carnegie Mellon University's Sheldon Cohen between 2000 and 2004.
12 January 2009
Hindi mo ba ako kilala?
That line was used by the undersecretary of tourism when they illegally park their vehicle and being asked by a hotel security to move because they were blocking the area.
Hindi mo ba ako kilala?
A mayor who was refused drinks because he had had enough of too much.
Hindi mo ba ako kilala?
A police brandishing his firearms to insist his power.
Hindi mo ba ako kilala?
Opo di kita kilala. Sino ka nga ba?
To know the other side of the story of how the Pangandamans show their power, follow this first hand experience by Bambee dela Paz. To know the Pangandamans' side, you have to go to them and ask their version. But before doing that be sure you are acknowledged by the Pangandamans or else.
"The offspring of riches: pride, vanity, ostentation, arrogance, tyranny." [Mark Twain]
Behind him was a queue of 200 men walking in single line. The man couldn't stand his curiosity.
He approached the man walking with the dog, "I am so sorry for your loss, and I know now is a bad time to disturb you, but I've never seen a funeral like this with so many of you walking in single line. Whose funeral is it?"
The man replied, "Well, that first coffin is for my wife."
"What happened to her? "
The man replied, "My dog attacked and killed her."
He inquired further, "Well, who is in the second coffin?"
The man answered, "My mother-in-law. She was trying to help my wife when the dog attacked and killed her also. "
A thoughtful moment of silence passes between the two men. Then the first one asks in excitement "Can I borrow the dog?"
The man replied "Join the queue."
(from an email)
11 January 2009
10 January 2009
While inside Weesam Express I was startled by a knock on the windows. I looked through it. The Badjaos were all extending their hands as if I could open the windows of the fast-raft.
Camera: Sony Ericsson W810i, natural light
Location: Tagbilaran Pier in Bohol
09 January 2009
SEOUL (AFP) - - A jobless scientist with a doctorate in physics has applied for a street sweeper's job, reflecting the severe economic slump and rising unemployment, officials said here Friday.The 36-year-old physicist was among 63 people who applied for five openings as sweepers, Seoul's Gangseo District Office said. Eleven of the applicants were university graduates, it said."I doubt whether any doctorate degree will be of any help to become a sweeper," Chung Young-Ik, an official in charge told AFP."He must have been in a very desperate situation to seek this job but we are selecting new sweepers, not scientists," he said.
07 January 2009
I received a text (SMS) message today from an unlisted number. All he/she/it (for purposes of brevity I will refer him/her/it as it) said was HAI. I don't know what it meant by that. I believe it was some hoax again. I did not reply. Yet it sent me the same message again. Irritated, I asked who it was. It texted back- Marken got ur numbr frm sumone.
- Never annoy other people just because you have nothing to do.
- If you don't know who you are texting and it is your first time to text him/her, please introduce yourself including your purpose of texting and where did you get the person's number. It has been proven that by doing so, you will get a reply.
- If someone asks you other people's number, please take extra effort to ask or tell the concerned person that someone is asking for his/her number.
- Never ever give other people's numbers without their permission. It is very rude.
- And if by chance you are bored, horny or just wanting to make other people's lives miserably difficult, rule number 1 still is the most effective way.
06 January 2009
One time she blurted out- Mayaman pala kayo Lolo, Lola! (You were rich Lolo, Lola!)
We laughed and we asked why.
Mayaman po kayo kasi may hagdan kayo. (You are rich because you have stairs.)
I never knew that a simple staircase could give meaning to a child. And she saw it as a status symbol. Now this staircase of ours is not the flamboyant type you can see in some rich man’s mansion. Our staircase is a compilation of wood slabs 6 inches wide and 24 inches long. I was suddenly conscious about it that I measured it up and counted them. They were the ugliest staircase I could find in the whole wide world.
I asked the child why the stairs made us rich. Her simple answer was- Wala po kaming ganyan. (We don’t have one at home.)
We were not rich just because we have a staircase. Yet those stairs were rich in memories of love and pain, of joy and sorrows. Looking at it, you could see it has survived time. Been polished many times to hide its deformities. Some parts have succumbed to termites and other calamities.
Many children loved playing on this staircase. Us. Our children. Our neighbors. Our nephews and nieces. Many a child got his foot sprained because of the undersized slabs. It was here that a loving and motherly love was shown to ease the sprained foot or a bruised head.
It was here when a sister sat and announced to the family that she was getting married. It was also here that she sat crying over her lost husband who died due to illness.
It was on the railings of the staircase that artworks were displayed by proud parents. It was also on those railings that a sister displayed her autographed picture of the first woman pilot of Cebu Pacific bearing a greeting for her because she worked at that same company.
The alcoholic brother sat at those stairs not minding that the whole family was looking at him heaving a sigh full of pain and regret.
Yes, the child is right! We are rich!
05 January 2009
2. Pwede bang uminom ng softdrink kapag coffee break? Pwedeng uminom ng softdrink kung coffebreak ngunit kailangan itong lagyan ng asukal at kopimeyt. kopimeyt dapat at huwag gatas. (Milk in my cereal, kopimeyt in my Pepsi. Sounds good to me!)
3. Pwede bang gamitin ang AM radio pag gabi na? Maari lamang gamitin ang AM radio kapag gabi kung ang iyong pakikinggan ay FM.
4. Ang fire exit ba ay labasan ng apoy? Ang fire exit ay ginagamit lamang bilang labasan ng apoy kapag may sunog. Ito ang kanilang daan upang sila'y makatakas o ang tinatawag na "fire escape".
5. Ang uod ba pag namatay ay inuuod din? Ang tao kapag namatay ay hindi tinatao. Malamang ang uod ay hindi rin inuuod. Kung ang tao ay inuuod kapag nalaguatan ng hininga, siguro ang uod kapag namatay ay tinatao.
6. Totoo bang ang mga manok na pinatay sa Jollibee ay masasaya kaya sila tinawag na Chickenjoy? Ang mga manok na pinatay sa Jollibee ay masaya kung kaya't sila'y tinawag na Chickenjoy. Ngunit hindi inakailangang sa Jollibee patayin ang manok upang maging ito ay maging masaya... ang mga manok ay nagiging masaya kapag sila ay may kasama sa buhay. Kapag ito ay nag-iisa lamang, ito ay hindi chicken joy kundi... McChicken Singles.
7. Mayroon bang kahit isang langgam na mahilig sa maalat? Alam na ba ninyo iyong patawa na "itlog maalat"? Nakagat ako minsan ng langgam...
8. Kung ang 7-11 Store ay bukas 24 hrs a day , 7 days a week , at 365 days a year, bakit may lock pa ang pinto nila? Bakit? Dalawa ang dahilan: Una, may coffee break (tingnan ang katanungan bilang 2 hinggil sa maaaring inumin kapag coffe break) din naman ang mga nagtatrabaho sa 7-11. Pangalawa, mayroon tayong tinatawag na leap year.
9. Bakit di mataas ang highway? Dahil kung mataas ang highway, walang paglalagyan ang skyway.
10. Ba't alang lumilipad na sasakyan sa flyover? Hindi lang natin nakikita ang mga nagliliparang sasakyan sapagkat hindi tayo tumutingala kapag tayo ay nasa flyover. Ang pagsalin ng dayuhang salita na flyover sa katutubong wika ay "fly"-lipad, "over"-sa ibabaw. Ibig sabihin nito na ang mga kotse ay hindi lumilipad sa flyover ngunit sa ibabaw ng flyover. Ngayon kung titingala ka naman kapag ikaw ay nasa flyover ang tangi mong makikita ay ang kisame ng iyong sasakyan. Alam kong wala sa inyong mayroong sasakyan na Miata, Boxster, Kompressor, Z3, Z8 at kung ano-ano pang kotseng pangmayaman kaya't huwag na kayong magpumilit mamilosopo... ako lang ang may karapatan! Kung idadahilan niyo naman na mayroon kayong sunroof, hanapin ninyo ang inyong tinatawag na "sense of humor". Namamatay ng maaga ang palaging seryoso.
At lagi rin natin sana tandaan ang dayuhang salawikain na "ask a dumb question and you'll get a dumb answer."
04 January 2009
I slept earlier actually. 8 pm. Unusual.