Search and You Shall Find in My World

14 September 2010

Edgar Allan Poe's version of Inception

A Dream Within a Dream
Edgar Allan Poe


Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?



A lot of people will never understand Poe. That is a terrible thing. Poe was tormented by numerous devils and his poems and stories were his escapism. Poe actually wrote only 50 poems in his life, only 50. Not volumes upon volumes. But every one was a work worthy of the effort of a genius. -Juan Olivarez

3 comments:

Undine said...

"A lot of people will never understand Poe. That is a terrible thing."

True enough, certainly!

Unknown said...

thanks for the visit Poe lover.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making the connection between Inception and the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe. One could argue that the sum of all of Poe's creative work represents an exploration of the themes found in Inception (temporal love versus transcendental love: "Annabel Lee,"
the nature of dreaming, the creative use of the imagination, etc.) Best wishes, W