Search and You Shall Find in My World

04 July 2009

Oh Iran-


Friday the 19th of June 2009
Tomorrow, Saturday
Tomorrow is a day of destiny

Tonight, the cries of Allah-o Akbar

Are heard louder and louder than the nights before

Where is this place?

Where is this place where every door is closed?

Where is this place where people are simply calling God?

Where is this place where the sound

Of Allah-o Akbar gets louder and louder?

I wait every night to see if the sounds

Will get louder and whether the number increases

It shakes me

I wonder if God is shaken

Where is this place where

So many innocent people are entrapped?

Where is this place where no one comes to our aid?

Where is this place where only with our silence

We are sending our voices to the world?

Where is this place where the young shed blood

And then people go and pray?

Standing on that same blood and pray…

Where is this place where the citizens

Are called vagrants?

Where is this place? You want me to tell you?

This place is Iran.

The homeland of you and me

This place is Iran.

(Poem for the Rooftops of Iran- June 19th 2009)


I was burning in shame. I am a hopeless bystander in this world who could not even offer help to my brothers and sisters in Iran. It was like a scene in my younger days when my father started to physically abuse my mother and my neighbors could not do anything to help but stare or peep through their windows. While we children cowered in fear and shame in some darkened corner waiting for our turn.

I cried. My heart bleeds.

Oh Iran...

(Picture from The Enlightenment Project)

No comments: