Search and You Shall Find in My World

19 September 2009

Fasting and Ramadan: Last Night

I am quite emotional. Tonight is the last night of my fasting. For 30 days during the Ramadan, I have survived whole and alive.

And tonight, the last night of my fasting, I could not help but cry and give thanks to Him that made me stronger each day of the fast.

The Holy Quran says tonight is the night to give and forgive. In my heart, I have forgiven all who have caused me pain and sorrow. Likewise I asked them to forgive me, which I also did in the beginning of the fast.

Quoting from the Muslim's Holy Quran, it says- The good deed and the evil deed are not alike. Repel the evil deed with one which is better; then lo, he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a bosom friend.

Hating to be self-righteous and preachy and all, I hope I have done better. The Ramadan has taught me a lot. More personal actually, and I hope I can keep it up. Some say I was just another hypocrite, or just doing the fasting for show (how will we know you really are fasting?), and some other judgmental issues they throw against me, but it is not my capacity to judge back. The fact is that I have done what is best for me and for me only. My fasting has taught me how to become resilient, to restrain myself from food and sexual desires and eventual control of myself. A better and experienced person I hope.

And for all of these, I thank Him more than anything. Or anyone.

In closing, I would like to share you these secrets I read as I do my last day of fasting from the book titled The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo:

First secret: Be true to your self.
Second secret: Leave no regrets.
Third secret: Become love.
Fourth secret: Live the moment.
Fifth secret: Give more than you take.

I wish you all peace and good health and camaraderie for the year round. May God bless us all.

Eid Mubarak!

No comments: