Most of you non-Cebuanos would excitedly flock to Cebu and see the Sinulog celebrations. Mine is a love-hate relationship with Sinulog. Here are the reasons why-
Why I hate Sinulog-
- People everywhere would cause massive traffic jams.
- The usual 15-minute ride would almost become an hour of intense struggle.
- During the Sinulog parade, all you could do is walk. Jeepneys are re-routed. Taxis won't bring you to your destination no matter how near because of very slow traffic.
- Noise pollution becomes intense! Beating of drums even in the evenings can be heard. Karaoke in the houses are on the rise.
- Our favorite hangouts suddenly become full and nowhere can we sit in.
- Bars, even those unknown, would cordone off their premises and impose an entrance fee even if they have nothing special going on. You pay the entrance fee and drink a beer. Shucks.
- I have to search for hotels and pension houses so that friends could be accommodated. But at this time, even the dirtiest pension house are doing well. So I have to scout even outside city limits. Tiring!
- Pickpockets, swindlers, snatchers would be in season.
- Muggers and trippers also abound. Just be careful.
- And I am quite sure only a few souls would go to the Basilica del Señor Santo Niño and at least light some candles there.
Why I love Sinulog-
- Friends connect. Even long time friends suddenly remembers you. Especially if they need a place to stay.
- Friends from abroad comes home. If you are good to them you can have a pasalubong.
- So many freebies from companies offering new products and discounts!
- Stores would offer sale and discounts.
- Sinulog is eyecandy. Aside from the colorful costumes of dancers, so many yummy people can be seen around as if some magic spell comes to Cebu.
- Some people come to Cebu to get laid. So be always ready, just in case. Remember to bring other safety gadgets.
- The celebrations would bring in lots of food and drinks. Some friends would invite you to eat at their house.
- Sinulog is a good reason to be drunk until the morning.
- You can visit the whole province if you take time to see the big displays on the Sinulog routes.
- Christmaasss is extended!
Picture grabbed from rengarcia.wordpress.com