Even before the new year came in, I was already wasted in some corner of my relatives' house wondering where in hell was I. Since I rarely come home to this kind of celebrations, they welcomed me with booze. And lots of them booze.
Ernest Hemingway said in his A Moveable Feast- "You have no respect for anything. You drink yourselves to death." Exactly.
But in a case like ours, drinking to death was a good start. And in my case it did not stop until many days after.
And while full of alcohol, I got emotional and started calling back what happened to my life before and after the new year, some of which I could only recall are listed here-
- I was nearly evicted from my apartment many times last year because I could not pay rent. But friends pool in some cash so I could pay. Will double time for payments this new year.
- I evaded my creditors, usually friends, because I know they would understand. And I know it would not take long. Likewise, those who owed me money did the same to me.
- I did not give gifts because I was so poor but people still lavishly poured some, to my dismay and shame.
- I did not give anything to my family. They understood. My presence was gift enought. I hugged them all.
- I fucked someone and they fucked my life, but still a good learning experience was at hand. I should remember never to fuck up with someone else's life.
But still the year that was was a good one for me notwithstanding the calamities. The coming year deserved another big bang. Indeed!