Search and You Shall Find in My World

04 January 2008

La Mala Educacion

After a hard days work, I finally decided to see the movie my friend insisted that I should see.

Bad Education (La Mala Educacion) was released in 2004 and my favorite actor, Gael Garcia Bernal (Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Amores Perros), stars on it, so it should be a must.

But too much thinking and planning of certain designs left me with painful headaches so I left it somewhere until, with nothing to do at 2 in the morning, I finally got to see the movie.

I've seen it twice, actually. First, without the English subtitles. Wow I really love hearing Spanish, a subject I almost failed when I was in college. The second time with the English subtitles on because I could not understand some of the words they were saying.

This Pedro Almodovar is quite interesting. If I have the time I will Google him.

The movie is centered on lust and revenge and very erotic. Almodovar actually presented the movie in dramatic colors shown by the actors, their acting and the lush locations. Bernal is very good here and I like to see him dressed as a queen because he looks very much like Julia Roberts.

The movie is more or less very Filipino in form and content although Filipino ingenuity on film-making is way way behind Almodovar's whose cinematic prowess is taking the whole world begging for more.

The issue presented in the movie might shock the conservative especially because it deals with drugs, homosexuality, and homosexual priests, an issue the Roman Catholic Church is trying to hide away from its flock til now but very evident even here in the Philippines. Yeah even the drug thing among priests is true.

The music is good too! Especially the Quizas, quizas, quizas rendition. How I wish they do the full version. Bernal is very erotic on that scene. And that Moon River (in Spanish of course) being sang by the young Ignacio while the priest is doing him hahahaha.

I gave the movie 5 stars. My best. Must seen movie.


More review can be found here- http://www.futuremovies.co.uk/review.asp?ID=199


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also interested in this kind of movie but i could not find the material in video shops. I like it because in many ways I can relate to it but I am simply wondering Koy why do you like this kind of movie too where homosexuality is one of the main theme. Now, you have to tell me the truth...

Unknown said...

hahaha you mean i am doing it to? maybe you are not reading my post actually hahaha.